June 30, 2011

Le Due Torri

The Two Towers

One of the famous landmarks in Bologna are the Due Torri.  Placed perfectly in the center of town, at the end of Via Zamboni which is the University district.  Every time we walked into the center we passed these massive structures.  Weekend nights we would meet friends here, and sometimes we would even lose friends here.  Well one day we went into town for gelato, then the next thing I know we are hiking up the 500 steps inside one of the towers.  When traveling in Europe one of the things that almost every city has to offer is an incredible of view of the city, but usually they require a lot of climbing.  While at first you may be reluctant, you have to just go for it and know that it will be worth it.  Huffing and puffing we finally make it to a little more than half way.  Our common fear of heights all hit us, and we question if we should continue.  The steps are getting smaller and smaller, and look older than all of our ages put together.  It honestly looks scarier going back down, so we decided to continue up.  Before we knew it we could feel the breeze and saw the sun beaming in through the frame of the doorway to the top.  While on the stairs I was breathing heavily, but as soon as I stepped out and saw the view I was completely speechless.  I was looking over the city that I had fallen so in love with.  For miles and miles around you could see the neighboring cities and the rolling green hills.  I could see the streets that I had spent many afternoons exploring. Who knew I had walked so far?  The experience of climbing up the 500 stairs and seeing the amazing view of my favorite city was definitely a highlight of my semester.

The city center of Bologna.



Can you say amazing?

Our dorm, Alma Mater!

Don't worry we didn't count the steps, the eager little girl who passed us did.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment