June 28, 2011

Mangiare. Pregare. L'amore.

Eat. Pray. Love


Ever since I have been back in the States I find myself always watching movies or TV shows filmed in Italy.  I avidly watch David Rocco's Dolce Vita on the Food Channel.  It is the perfect way to reminisce about Italy; the food, wine, and sights.  My favorite thing is just to hear people speaking Italian, I can't help but to smile and even refuse to read the subtitles.  Just the other week I decided to watch House Hunters International.  I read the info page and saw that this episode was filmed in Italy.  I continue watching to see it was based in Bologna!  I squealed with excitement.  My mother rushed in to see "what was wrong" and then soon realized I was just having a not only a "I've been there" moment but a "I've lived there" moment. It still baffles me to say that I lived in Italy for a semester.  What a life I lead.


As I was watching Eat Pray Love tonight, so many thoughts came to mind.  Her time in Italy, where she learned how to just enjoy herself.  Whether it was from the sights I saw, the delicious food, or the wonderful people I met, I would like to say I enjoyed myself.  Then she goes to Indian then on to Indonesia.  A culture that I am not quite familiar with, but interests me very much.  I have heard a lot of criticism from the second half of the movie because her meditation and Hindu prayer.  However, I find the second half of the movie just as inspiring as the first.  She goes to a country and adapts to a culture far different from her own.  What courage and what an inspiring experience.  I hope that one day I can extend my travels to a similar culture.


The main lesson of the movie, is her self discovery.  It is something we all do.  Some find it a lot closer to home than others.  However, it is not a one time occurrence.  To find who you really are, is a daily interpretation of who you are from all your experiences.  Six months ago, I would like to say I was a mess when it came to future plans and what I wanted in life.  I have always been the girl with big dreams, and living abroad has been one of them.  For some reason over the years, I talked myself out of these dreams.  I became extremely materialistic and generally selfish.  With various events in the last few years, I started to realize that happiness is the key (not salary).  This led me to start questioning what I wanted to do career wise.  It killed me not having a plan, but I honestly did not know what I could do.  Then the moment comes for me to move to Italy, can you say perfect timing?

So I move to Italy, only knowing one person in the program.  I only knew a total of 10 Italian words and had never been more than a month without seeing my family.  What a step?   When I first left on the plane back in January, I had no clue what was ahead of me.  I become adjusted to the way of life in Italy.  I found that I just adapted to the culture with no questions or criticisms.  I made friends that will last for a lifetime (American and Italian).  And, I surprisingly learned many new words in Italian (my Italian friends might disagree, but I will show them when I return to Italy).  With all these experiences, change is bound to happen.  I found my happiness, in the shape of a boot.  What can I say, the country won my heart. Sorry America.  With this new found happiness, I discovered what I finally want to do in life.  I know, I can't believe it either (took me long enough!)  So I decided that I want to fulfill my childhood dream and live permanently in a foreign country.  My parents agreed and are looking to buy a place on the Amalfi Coast and I am just going to be an Italian beach bum!   Ha, Yeah right.  I am sure you were all wishing that, so you could come and visit.  However, I do want to live in Italy.  Many people have always suspected that I would go into some type of education, and they were right.  My study abroad experience was such a intricate part in my life, and I want to share that by working with a study abroad program.  Eventually I hope to be a director, but I might do some teaching in between.  



With this new career change, the first step of education needed is a Master's in Higher Education.  This program does not require a particular undergraduate degree, so I discovered a new degree that lets me focus in on my interest that can help me achieve my dream goal of returning to Italy.  So I am now a Liberal Studies Major, basically has an intense Liberal Arts core along with your choice of 3 minors.  My minors are Business Administration, Italian, and Religion.   Some may argue how religion ties into the plan.  With my worldly interest, how am I supposed to understand a culture If I don't know what they believe.  After graduation I hope to find some short term work either with a university in Italy or a volunteer opportunity.  Then I plan to return back to the States to get my Masters in Higher Education.  After that I hope to find a more permanent job in Italy, and get back as soon as possible.  That is the plan for now, but is subject to change.  We make plans and God laughs.

There are my thoughts for the day.  I have all day tomorrow free, I am sure I will post again tomorrow.  Buonanotte Tutti!




2 comments:

  1. "That is the plan for now, but is subject to change. We make plans and God laughs. "

    Story of my life.

    I open your blog and "Good Life" plays.

    Story of my life.

    i'm beginning to feel like we're the same person hahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post just gave me goosebumps. jordan you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete